Glen Scotia is one of only three distilleries remaining in Campbeltown.
Glen Scotia Distillery was built in 1832, and has been operating for approximately one hundred and eighty years. Situated in Campbeltown (the Victorian Whisky Capital of the World) the distillery has a formidable pedigree. Campbeltown is a small town on the Kintyre peninsular on the west coast of Scotland, affectionately known as the “Wee Toon”, and, remarkably for a town of its size, still has 3 operating distilleries; Glen Scotia, Springbank, Glengyle. These distilleries give a remarkable insight in to the history of making whisky in this remote, once prolific, whisky making region of Scotland.
Glen Scotia was acquired by Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse Ltd and in 2000 Loch Lomond distillery took over, providing staff and running the operations. Today, the Glen Scotia produces 100,000 litres annually - substantially lower than its three quarter million capacity. The distillery now has a staff of just two; James Grogan, the long time stillman, and Hector Gatt of Springbank fame. There have been several official releases and a few independent bottlings.
For more information on Glen Scotia, please visit the website: www.glenscotia-distillery.co.uk View website here